For many years Carlton was a township of a few houses within the manor and parish of Gedling, home to farmers and framework knitters. From the 1840s, owing to its position on the edge of Nottingham and lying close to the railways, the population of Carlton steadily increased. After 1850, the township grew rapidly to become an urban settlement in its own right, and developed housing, churches, schools, workplaces and facilities. Carlton Urban District Council was created in 1894, recognising the status of the new township. By 1914 the tram route from the centre of Nottingham to Carlton was completed, this ensured Carlton’s role as a dormitory settlement where people lived, and from which they travelled to work.
Porchester Gardens in Carlton were slowly developed for housing. After 1930 Carlton Urban District Council began to build new housing close to the centre of Carlton, along Westdale Lane and in Carlton Valley. In 1935 the parishes of Colwick and Gedling were absorbed into Carlton Urban District. In the late 1930s the Bakers Field area of Carlton (newly absorbed from Colwick parish) was developed as an extension of new estates of Nottingham City Council housing stretching from Sneinton. In the post-war period new estates were laid out in Gedling, stretching up the valley to Mapperley Plains.